Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Got Joy? Got Strength.

The past couple of days, I've realized just how selfish of a person I really am. I'm ashamed to say that it is very difficult for me to put the needs and wants of others above my own needs and wants. The realization brought me to a place of hopelessness, wanting to change but not knowing how to make such a big change. Honestly, it's put me in a bit of a grumpy, non-joyful mood.

This morning, during my devotions, however, God highlighted Nehemiah 8:10: "The joy of the Lord is your strength." I looked it up to read the chapter in context, and was amazed by what I read. Before Nehemiah spoke this to the people, Ezra had read the Book of the Law to them. As they listened, they wept, presumably because they realized they had not been obeying the Book of the Law. Then Nehemiah tells them, "This day is sacred to the Lord your God. Do not mourn or weep." (v. 9) Next he tells them, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." (v. 10)

They, like me, had come to a realization of their sinful nature, and rather than allowing them to mourn and weep and repent of their depravity, they are told to rejoice and celebrate. Why? Because our God is a forgiving and merciful God. Later, He would sent His only son to die on the cross for not only their sins, but also for the sins of everyone who ever was or would be. And because of that, we also have reason to rejoice.

When I realize something I need to do differently, I frequently ask for strength to obey. However, this morning, God told me to ask for joy rather than strength, for His joy IS our strength.

Have you ever come to a place where you've felt hopeless, unable to be the person God created you to be? Take heart, for it is in that very place of humility that God can begin to mold us and form us. Receive His joy, for it will energize and motivate you and give you hope.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, sweet Marci! It's great to see you blogging. Just wanted to say that you should think about linking up with the Solo Deo Gloria Sisterhood group sometime (http://www.findingheaventoday.com/p/about-soli-deo-gloria.html). It's a great way to meet other bloggers out there, and I think you would enjoy it. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing! I'll definitely look into that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marci, welcome to SDG! I'm so excited you are here and that you have started this blogging journey. I love Nehemiah -- I've learned so much from studying this book. And I am definitely one that can get down on myself because of my sin. I love remembering this verse in the context of God being so merciful.

    (I'm working on your small group -- I just need a few days. I have a deadline on Friday. I hope to get you plugged in over the weekend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your honesty and thought provoking words. Welcome to SDG too. It is a supportive and encouraging group. I see you are just beginning this blog. If you have any questions, please just ask. We all like to help one another. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much to both of you for the wonderful welcome to SDG! I am so excited about joining your community of believers!

    ReplyDelete